Experts in science, physics and planetary defence, led by astrophysicist and musician Brian May and Lord Martin Rees in the UK, and Bill Nye, CEO of the Planetary Society, Ryan Wyatt, Director of the Morrison Planetarium, and veteran astronauts Rusty Schweickart, Ed Lu, and Tom Jones in the US, held a joint UK-US press conference to announce Asteroid Day 2015 and to release the 100x Declaration to protect the future of our planet from asteroid impacts.
The press conference was held 3rd December 2014 in London and San Francisco simultaneously, linked via video.
Lord Rees read the 100x Declaration, which has been signed by scores of experts and luminaries in science, business, and entertainment, including Brian Cox, Richard Dawkins, Alan Eustace, Steward Brand, Shervin Pishevar, Jane Luu, and more than 38 astronauts and cosmonauts. More information about Asteroid Day, the Declaration, and profiles of the signers were provided at the press conference and on the website http://asteroidday.org on 3rd December.
Asteroid Day is scheduled for 30th June 2015, the anniversary of the Tunguska, Siberia, asteroid impact, and will include education and events hosted by individuals and organisations, as well as via film and entertainment to increase awareness about asteroids. Founding partners of Asteroid Day were announced at the press conference, as well as additional information and how the public can get involved.
London, UK – 6:30 p.m. GMT
The Science Museum, Gallery 29
- Dr. Brian May: Astrophysicist, Musician & Lead Guitarist for Queen
- Lord Martin Rees: Astronomer Royal, Emeritus Professor of Cosmology and Astronomy at the University of Cambridge, and Honorary Fellow of King’s College, Cambridge
San Francisco, CA, USA – 10:30 a.m. PST
California Academy of Sciences (CAS)
- Dr. Tom Jones: Veteran US Shuttle Astronaut; Chairman, NEO Committee, Association of Space Explorers
- Dr. Ed Lu: Three-time US Shuttle Astronaut; Co-founder & CEO, Sentinel Mission
- Rusty Schweickart: US Apollo 9 Astronaut; Co-founder, Sentinel Mission
- Bill Nye: CEO, The Planetary Society
- Dr. Ryan Wyatt: Director, Morrison Planetarium & Science Visualization, CAS
Additional information on Asteroid Day and the 100x Declaration, as well as photos and video, are available at http://www.asteroidday.org.